This legendary poem “Advise from a tree” is everywhere whenever I looked for the keyword trees on the internet.
It has been manipulated and modified in thousands of ways online but initially, it is written and composed by Ilan Shamir. You can learn more about him here.
Let’s put it into segments for easy reading. Here I would like to describe how I have perceived it through a spiritual viewpoint. These are some insights on giving recognition to a tree that stands tall and proud.
1. Trees educate us about the ancient law of life. They stand tall and proud for a reason.
2. Sink your roots deeply into the Earth has a deep spiritual meaning. It means we should give the same way as we would like to receive from nature. Plant more trees and get more close to the natural world.
The care of the Earth is our most ancient and most worthy, and after all, our most pleasing responsibility.”Wendell Berry
3. Reflect the light of a greater source = Be generous in giving and helping others.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.Rumi
4. Think long-term but pause for a minute. Believe in your infinite potential of helping others and do your best.
A tree is known by its fruit; a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost; he who sows courtesySaint Basil
reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.
5. Go out on a limb and take risks.
Every day is an opportunity to learn something or discover something or someplace. Be curious, play, go out on a limb, walk a different way to work, try a new food at dinner and keep learning and growing.Sandra Magsamen
6. Remember your place among all living beings and be kind to your fellow human beings.
We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.Neil DeGrasse Tyson
7. Embrace with joy the changing seasons because always remember your outer world is the reflection of your life’s inner world.
Be like the sun for grace and mercy. Be like the night to cover others’ faults. Be like running water for generosity. Be like death for rage and anger. Be like the Earth for modesty. Appear as you are. Be as you appear.Citation needed
8. For each yields its own abundance as everything is created twice, first in the mind and then in reality. Serve others.
When you find yourself in need of spiritual nourishment, it is in the opportunities to serve others that you will find the abundance you seek.Steve Maraboli
9. The Energy and Birth of Spring = Be conscious of your surroundings.
Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was myself. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.Zhuangzi
10. The Growth and Contentment of Summer remind us that the best friend on earth of man is the tree.
You have no choice. You must leave your ego on the doorstep before you enter love.Kamand Kojouri
11. The Wisdom to let go of leaves in the Fall suggests that we should be open to change and varying opinions.
12. The Rest and Quiet Renewal of Winter reminds us that the trees outlive us, they are fixed, but seem to arise a sense of permanence in us.
13. Feel the wind and the sun And delight in their presence = Be Happy.
Happiness comes from helping others, by being with others, and by sharing, even if it’s only a smile.Zain Hashmi
14. Look up at the moon that shines down upon you and the mystery of the stars at night. Once we see the world for what it is, we see that it is nothing but a reminder of God, a remembrance of God.
Those who look for seashells will find seashells; those who open them will find pearls.Al-Ghazali
15. Seek nourishment from the good things in life because what you seek is also seeking you.
16. Simple pleasures Earth, fresh air, light = Find happiness by taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life.
17. Be content with your natural beauty means follow the wisdom provided by nature. Too much of everything will ruin your personality.
18. Drink plenty of water reminds us that we should keep nourishing our soul.
19. Let your limbs sway and dance in the breezes. Your heart knows the way.
Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.Rumi
20. Be flexible like water
We are like water, aren’t we? We can be fluid, flexible when we have to be. But strong and destructive, too.” And something else, I think to myself. Like water, we mostly follow the path of least resistance.Wally Lamb, We Are Water
21. Remeber your roots because your journey is towards your homeland.
Your journey is towards your homeland. Remember you are travelling from the world of appearances to the world of Reality.Abdul Khaliq Ghujduwani
22. In the end, I would not make any promises. Just Enjoy the view!
I should not make any promises right now,Hafiz
But I know if you
Somewhere in this world –
Something good will happen.
Here’s the original poem..
Stand Tall and Proud
Sink your roots deeply into the Earth
Reflect the light of a greater source
Think long term
Go out on a limb
Remember your place among all living beings
Embrace with joy the changing seasons
For each yields its own abundance
The Energy and Birth of Spring
The Growth and Contentment of Summer
The Wisdom to let go of leaves in the Fall
The Rest and Quiet Renewal of Winter
Feel the wind and the sun
And delight in their presence
Look up at the moon that shines down upon you
And the mystery of the stars at night.
Seek nourishment from the good things in life
Earth, fresh air, light
Be content with your natural beauty
Drink plenty of water
Let your limbs sway and dance in the breezes
Remember your roots
Enjoy the view!
Thank you for reading.